Monday, September 15, 2008

Hurricane Ike, Camel Spiders, and Babies

As I sit here in Marine Air Ground Combat Center 29 Palms, California, I have been glued to the internet, phone, and TV trying to watch Hurricane Ike and the aftermath. It is a sad sight to see the place I grew up in shambles. I was born in Houston, lived there for a while, then moved to La Marque, TX and lived there until 98. La Marque is just across the causeway from Galveston. I did go to school and attended youth group on Galveston though.

I have been watching and reading Houston/Galveston local news (KHOU, KTRK, Galveston Daily News, Fox Houston) as well as the national news networks. It bothers me that there is not alot of coverage of Galveston or the mainland. It is all about Houston and Kemah. The coverage of Galveston I am seeing is limited to the Seawall (mostly in front of the San Louis) and a little of the West End (which was heavily damaged). I can't find alot of info about the downtown area, or East end. I haven't seen any news reports about the mainland areas of Galveston county. From the community forums I have read, many people feel the same way. I have heard some rumors that some are being told it will be at least 30 days till residents can get on the island. Whether this is true or not, no doubt people are not getting the answers they are looking for. They just want to get to their homes and save what they can, before either the looters or the mold gets to it. I understand, however, why the city and FEMA are slow to let people back on. They want to have the support systems in place to support those people (Police, Fire, National Guard, food/water/sewage).

As I speak, Sarah (sister) is in labor. I will be an uncle soon.

Oh, and yes...there are camel spiders out here.

No comments: